Jul 30, 2008

A morning in the life of an 8 month pregnant woman.

There is a blog written by http://work-girl.blogspot.com/ that portrays my frustrations of this day, it’s titled “Chivalry Is Dead (But Only in the Mornings)” dated July 24th, 2008. A fabulous read if you get a chance.

I apologize in advance for my, probably hormone driven rant but even living in this small city I am beginning to loose all hope for humanity.

Being a proud MAX commuter I run into more and more instances every day that convince me of an overall lack of chivalry in the modern day society. Take this morning for example, a typical 30-minute ride for me. ten minutes in and I'm still standing. Lloyd Center tends to be a popular stop for many and as expected someone got up finally giving me a shot at a seat. I am no racist, but a Hispanic woman cut right in front me to take it... Hmmm, an older workingwoman with who knows how kids at home, taking my seat... I think I can live with that. I then spend the remainder of my 20 minutes standing belly-in-face of a middle-aged man (wedding band and all) that was intently playing a PSP. His lack of acknowledgment dumbfounded me. He had no signs of a disability (other than the obvious), I didn’t know who to feel worse for, myself or his wife. Two stops before mine, the woman sitting next to him got off and I went in for some relief. The man’s smile was beyond what I had needed at this point so when he nudged me and told me that it was his stop I quietly looked at him, with no sign of hesitation to get up, and mentioned that it was mine as well. I can only imagine what my trip home is going to be like…

My current goal in life, to teach my son some manners!

No comments: